Saturday, 26 April 2014

Sam berns

I think that Sam was really able to grow from having Progeria and it was easy for him to stay positive because he knew that because he had progeria, everyone after him that was to be diagnosed with progeria would be able to get treatment for it. Because Sam had progeria his parents started a foundation and helped discover the gene for progeria. By finding the gene, they were able to find minor tratments to prevent the effects of progeria. This was a significant part in Sams optimism. He knew that because of him and his parents, kids all over the world for the rest of time will be able to seek help and treatment for progeria.

To relate this to Flowers for Algernon, at one point in the book, Charlie says (something along the lones of) "I will be able to live a thousand normal lives through the lives I will help change" (I cannot find the exact quote again..) after Sam will be a major part othe lives of everyone with progeria from now on and because of this, there may one day be a cure for progeria and Sam's memory will live on in those that are treated and (hopefully) cured.

No comments:

Post a Comment